Working With A Great Lawyer

Working With A Great Lawyer

Has Your Ex Remarried? 4 Steps To Take If It's Affecting Your Child

Dianne Ellis

Divorce is never easy on a child, especially when dealing with custody issues. When one of the parents gets remarried, the issues are often compounded. This is particularly true when the relationship between parent and child is altered as a result of the remarriage, or the child has issues with the new spouse. If your ex has remarried, and your child is experiencing problems as a result, you need to be proactive in your approach to the issues. Here are four steps to take to try and remedy the situation.

Document Your Child's Concerns

If your child has specific concerns regarding their new step-parent, it's important that you take their concerns seriously. Begin by documenting your child's concerns. Talk to your child about their problems they're facing, including any feelings they have regarding the changes that have occurred. You may find that your child is just having a hard time dealing with the fact that their other parent has someone new in their life.

Address the Concerns With Your Ex

If your child is having trouble adjusting to their other parent's new marriage, address the concerns with your ex. That way, you can both be on the same page regarding the issues your child is experiencing. If possible, try to work together to alleviate the concerns your child is experiencing. This may include ensuring that your child has sufficient one-on-one time with the other parent. It may also require your ex to discuss concerns with their new spouse.

Consider Family Counseling

If you and your ex are unable to resolve the concerns that your child is experiencing, it may be time to consider family counseling. Often children are able to resolve the concerns they have regarding a second marriage by talking it out in the safety of a counselor's office. If the issues that your child is facing deal with the new step-parent, they should be included in the counseling sessions. That way, all of you can work together to help your child.

Request a Custody Evaluation

If your child has voiced concerns that affect their health, safety, and well-being, you need to speak to your child custody attorney. You may need to request a custody evaluation. This is particularly true if your child has claimed that they're being abused or mistreated while in the care of the new step-parent. During a custody evaluation, your child's concerns will be addressed and custody may be modified, as needed.

For more information, contact a child custody law office.


2019© Working With A Great Lawyer
About Me
Working With A Great Lawyer

When my spouse decided to divorce me, I realized that I really needed to work with a professional attorney. I started looking around for great general attorneys who would be willing to take the case, and I was able to find a great team that I felt good about working with. They were intelligent, hard working, and had been in business for years and years. This blog is all about working with an awesome lawyer who can help you to get a fair settlement in court. Check out these blogs for important tips on finding and working with an attorney.